State of IIinois Homeless ID Card


Outreach Chicago can't help you get Illinois Homeless ID Cards. The Homeless ID program is a Secretary of State of Illinois ID program. We have the Homeless ID certification form on our website as a convenience to homeless individuals.

The Homeless ID certification form must be downloaded. Then completed by a shelter or service agency that works with you or a homeless individual.

 Or an agency that offers assistance to you or the homeless individual. And the agency or person can verify your homeless status.

The Homeless ID Certification form requires the federal tax identification number of the agency or shelter. If an attorney is completing the information, the attorney must supply his Illinois professional license number. And the form must be notarized.


As a homeless person, can I fill out the Illinois Homeless Status Certification by myself? No!

The form must be filled out by a shelter, social service agency or social worker. Afterwards a homeless individual can take the completed form to the Secretary of State in Illinois. And obtain his or her Homeless ID. The Homeless ID Certification form covers the payment for an Illinois State ID card.


What documents must I bring with me to apply for a no-cost Illinois State ID Card?

You must have one document from Group A,B,C, and D, Click on the link for ACCEPTABLE IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS.

 A Social Security card will satisfy documents for group A and C, a Homeless Certification form will satisfy group D. You need Proof of Birth to satisfy Group B

  If you or the person you are assisting attended Chicago Public Schools. He or she can obtain proof of birth by filling out the online application  or printable application.

Group B documents must contain the applicant's full name and complete date of birth and must be verifiable.

Birth Certificates must be original or certified by a Board of Health or Bureau of Vital Statistics within the U.S. or by the U.S. State Department, U.S. territories or Canada.

 A certified copy is a document produced by the issuing jurisdiction which has an embossed seal or an original stamped impression. Foreign passports and foreign birth certificates are accepted as proof if accompanied by any other item in another group.

Homeless individuals qualify for the no-fee identification card, if he or she is considered homeless as defined by the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. 11302 or 42 U.S.C. 11434a(2). . you must have a Homeless ID Certification form executed and notarized by a shelter, religious organization, social service agency that will serve as the residence.

What address is used on the Identification Card since it is issued for a homeless person?

The address that the Secretary of State will print on the Identification Card will be the address that is provided on the Homeless ID Certification form. This address may be the address of the homeless shelter or the social service organization executing the document on behalf of the homeless individual.

 What is the expiration date of the Identification Card?

If you are first applying for a no fee identification card for the homeless, it will expire 5 years from your next birthday with one exception. If you are age 15 through 20 on the day you apply, your card will expire 3 months after your 21st birthday.

What if my status changes and I am no longer homeless?

If any identifying information on the face of the Identification Card changes, in this case it most likely would be the address, the holder of the card is required to notify the Secretary of State within 10 days of the change. If you want a new Identification Card to reflect the new address, you will be required to pay the appropriate fee.

Can I come directly to a Secretary of State's office and have a Homeless Status Certification form completed at the facility by Secretary of State personnel? No.

The Homeless ID Certification form must be executed and notarized prior to your arrival at a Secretary of State facility. Only homeless shelter or social service agency personnel may verify a person's homeless status. Secretary of State Personnel are not authorized to certify an individual's homeless status