State of Illinois Homeless ID

Outreach Chicago doesn't pay for Homeless ID Cards. However, the State of Illinois will provide a homeless individual with one. Homeless individuals must bring a completed Homeless ID application to the Secretary of State In Illinois. (This form must be downloaded, then signed by a shelter or Social Service agency certifying you are homeless ) Please read the information below.


Homeless individuals qualify for the no-fee identification card, if he or she is considered homeless as defined by the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. 11302 or 42 U.S.C. 11434a(2). This card is issued free of charge with the proper documentation to show proof of legal name, date of birth, social security number, and signature.


As a homeless person, can I fill out the Homeless Status Certification by myself?

No! all Homeless ID application must be completed by a shelter or service agency that works with the homeless or offers assistance to the homeless to verify your status. The document requires the federal tax identification number of the agency or shelter or if an attorney is completing the information, the attorney must supply his Illinois professional license number.


What address is used on the Identification Card since it is issued for a homeless person?

The address that the Secretary of State will print on the Identification Card will be the address that is provided on the Homeless ID application. This address may be the address of the homeless shelter or the social service organization executing the document on behalf of the homeless individual.


What is the expiration date of the Identification Card?

If you are first applying for a no fee identification card for the homeless, it will expire 5 years from your next birthday with one exception. If you are age 15 through 20 on the day you apply, your card will expire 3 months after your 21st birthday.


What if my address changes and I move to another shelter?

You will be required to supply another Homeless ID application document along with surrendering your current Identification Card.


What if my status changes and I am no longer homeless?

If any identifying information on the face of the Identification Card changes, in this case it most likely would be the address, the holder of the card is required to notify the Secretary of State within 10 days of the change. If you want a new Identification Card to reflect the new address, you will be required to pay the appropriate fee.


What documents must I bring with me to apply for a no-fee Identification Card?

You must have one document from Group A,B,C, and D, ACCEPTABLE IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS, you must have a Homeless Certification application executed and notarized by a shelter, religious organization, social service agency that will serve as the residence.


Can I come directly to a Secretary of State’s office and have a Homeless Status Certification completed at the facility by Secretary of State personnel?

No. The Homeless ID application must be executed and notarized prior to your arrival at a Secretary of State facility. Only homeless shelter or social service agency personnel may verify a person’s homeless status. Secretary of State Personnel are not authorized to certify an individual’s homeless status.


What if I don’t have all my documentation to prove my name, date of birth, social security number and signature?

You should work with a homeless shelter or social service agency that can assist you in getting the required documentation. The Secretary of State will not issue an Identification Card without the proper documentation. You need documents from group A, B, C and D to get a State ID card.


A Social Security card will satisfy documents for group A and C, a Homeless Certification will satisfy group D.

Group B - Proof of Birth 

You must have a document from group B. To have all the documents to get an ID card. If you go to your local Board of Education where you attended Grade or High School. You can get a record of birth from your local Board of Education.

• Adoption Records

• Birth Certificate

 • Court Order (Change of birth date)

• Certified Grade/High School/University Transcript

• Illinois Driver’s License (current) • Illinois ID Card (current)

 • Military Service Record (DD214)

• Naturalization Certificate

 • Passport (valid with complete date of birth)

 • Social Security Award Letter (primary beneficiary only)

• U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Forms — I-551 (Alien Registration Card); I-571 (Refugee Travel Document); I-766 (Employment Authorization Card); I-797A (Notice of Action Status Change); I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) with Valid Passport

 • U.S. Military Driver’s License/ID Card

 • U.S. Passport Card (valid with complete date of birth) • U.S. Visa


Group B documents must contain the applicant’s full name and complete date of birth and must be verifiable. To be verifiable, it must be possible to contact the regulatory authority to confirm the authenticity of the document. Birth Certificates must be original or certified by a Board of Health or Bureau of Vital Statistics within the U.S. or by the U.S. State Department, U.S. territories or Canada. A certified copy is a document produced by the issuing jurisdiction which has an embossed seal or an original stamped impression. Foreign passports and foreign birth certificates are accepted as proof if accompanied by any other item in another group.






Outreach Programs
  •        Lunch Time Program

    provides bag lunches to homeless and low- income veterans, individuals, and families living on the streets of Chicago and South Suburban area.
  • Personal Hygiene Product Collection

    provides baby diapers, baby wipes, feminine hygiene products and toiletries to homeless and low-income indiviuals.
  • Winter Gear/Clothing Program

    New or lightly worn recently cleaned used coats,gloves, sweaters needed, blankets, sleeping blankets.


Have Questions? Email Us:
Outreach Chicago     6002 S Halsted St. Chicago,Ill.  60621-2107
follow usand become our fan on
Outreach Chicago • SitemapFAQ Privacy Policy • E- mail: